Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Puzzle Adventures - Final

Well! June certainly started at top speed! Good, but busy!

Let me recap the last of the puzzles I did during May
First up...what can I say? I've been an Edith Holden fan since her 'Country Diary' made it's first appearance back in the 70's. And yet, when I first saw this gorgeous puzzle by Cobble Hill, I wondered if I would actually enjoy doing it. The soft colours caused me to hesitate. When a friend offered to trade me this 'Spring' one for a ball of yarn...well that was a deal quickly sealed!
The dark overcast days made taking pictures of this really hard, but even so, the beauty shows through I think.
I made a start on the easiest to identify bits and assembled little vignettes which I then located on the poster and placed in it's approximate place within the border.


It came together quicker that expected and although there is always the pleasure of looking at the finished image, I was disappointed that this was 'over' for now...


I enjoyed every minute. Each little puzzle piece is a miniature piece is water colour art...and together they produce sweet images such as this rabbit sniffing away at the leaves


...and numerous delicate butterflies scattered allover the image, with identifying names for all the images included, just as Edith had it in her diary.


Such lovely detail...


A totally satisfying experience. I'm looking forward to doing the rest of the months. I have 'Summer' lined up for June and plan to do 'Autumn' in September. So far I've not been able to locate 'Winter' but am hoping to find it ready to do in December.


I think the artist/designer who used the original images to compile this puzzle image did an outstanding job! Thank you Cobble Hill for yet another masterpiece!



Next up was the 'free mystery puzzle' included with a Bits & Pieces order. It wasn't something that I would buy myself, but I did enjoy putting it together and was able to trade it locally for another puzzle. Win-win for me!




Last year I found this little puzzle at the local Salvation Army Thrift Store. The fact that it was a map and had a book of riddles with it, was enough for me to take a chance with the purchase. One never knows with thrift store puzzles, do you? However this one was complete. It is an older puzzle but in good condition and I had a good time solving riddles and locating the 'treasure'
I wonder who won the cash prizes back then...




I particularly liked this polar bear...just taking a casual stroll..

 
and this bit at the southern tip of Africa, recalling stories of the lost city in the Kalahari and the fabulous wealth it contained...not to mention all those gold coins President Kruger was supposed to take with him to Europe to try to by help during the Anglo-Boer War...


And with childhood memories and remembering walking long paths in the African bush, my puzzle adventures for May came to an end. Varied, full of colour and rich in enjoyment.

Bring on June!

No comments: